Congratulations on making the decision to apply for a job at Camp Brookwoods, Deer Run or Moose River Outpost! That’s the first step! We have one online application for all three camps. You’ll be able to indicate if you have a preference for working at a specific camp or if you are open to a position at either of our camps in Maine or New Hampshire.
Once you’ve started your online application, think about who you would like to ask for a reference. You’ll need to ask someone in a pastoral role to you (someone who can speak to your faith), a previous employer, and a teacher or professor.
There is not a “closing date” for applications; however, we highly recommend that you apply as soon as you know you’d like to work at camp. Sometimes we receive applications before the summer is over. We don’t generally begin the hiring process that early, but start interviews in the fall. Tim Nielsen, Director of Ministry Services, will receive your application and forward it to the appropriate hiring camp director at Deer Run, Brookwoods, or MRO. If you have any questions about the hiring process or timeline, please email Tim.
Please keep the following things in mind as you go through the hiring process.
- “Staff Week” is required for all staff at their respective locations. Staff Week is two-weeks long. We’ll not only prepare you for your summer position, but also get camp ready for campers. Counseling staff is strongly encouraged to be certified as lifeguards and we offer a Red Cross Lifeguarding Training course for no charge a few days before Staff Week starts. Staff who will be instructors in specialized areas like ropes course, climbing wall, sailing, canoeing, riflery, horseback riding, wilderness first aid, etc., will be required to attend certification and skill training in their respective discipline. The timing and locations of these courses vary and may require you to come to camp before Staff Week.
- All Staff are required to have a Medical Form signed by a physician within the last two years.
- Staff are required to present two forms of identification to complete their W-4 and I-9 forms. A drivers license, a copy of your birth certificate, social security card, or passport are acceptable.
- All counselors and staff are required to complete First Aid/CPR before arriving at camp. (If you are unable to complete the course before arrival, you may take it for a fee during your time-off at the end of Staff Week. If you take the Lifeguarding class before Staff Week, First Aid/CPR are included.)
- At the start of the summer, staff will be issued a uniform camp shirt, which is worn on Incoming days and Sundays. Staff shirts are expected to be returned at the the end of camp in good condition. On Outgoing Day we’ll give you t-shirts to wear that promote our Annual Fund: Join the Journey.
- Counseling staff write parent letters, and complete mid-summer and end of camp evaluations as part of their summer employment.
- All staff who drive camp vehicles must have a clean driving record and be approved by the camp’s insurance.
- Camp completes a background check on all staff.