What Does It Mean to Be a Christian Camp?

At camp, we want to share the love of God and the gift of eternal life with our campers, all the while having the time of their life. We stick to the “major” points of the historical Christian faith and leave the rest to parents. Please read Bob Strodel’s blog post about being a Christian camp.

Will Siblings See Each Other?

The short answer is “Yes”. The amount of time that siblings will see each other depends on their selection of activities. Each afternoon we have Beach Afternoon, (open waterfront) and that is generally the best time to hang out. Siblings can also see each other at Lazy Day breakfasts and cookouts.

How Are Cabin Assignments Made?

Making the Cabin List is one of the hardest things we do! Camp directors make assignments based on age and grade. We know you want to be with your friends, so please remember to type your friend’s name under “cabinmate request” on the online registration. We know you have lots of friends, but please limit this to one friend. Please note: cabinmate requests need to be made reciprocally by both campers. We will do our best to honor requests, however, we will make decisions that are in the Camp’s best interest, which may not always be your camper’s preference.

I’m Concerned About Homesickness. Do You Have Any Advice?

Some campers do get homesick. However, this is not a large problem at camp, as homesickness usually fades after a few days of fun activities and making new friends. If the parent gets a letter or postcard from the camper that indicates a problem, please feel free to call us. We will speak to your child’s counselor and call you back. Experience tells us that many of those letters are written on the first night of camp. When the parent checks the mailbox on Thursday or Friday…the natural assumption is that the child has been miserable the whole time! Thankfully, by then, most of the homesickness has dissipated. Please give us a call and we’ll check on the situation. Please do not expect to speak to your camper, as that usually sets them back.

What if I’m a ‘Kid-Sick’ Parent?

If you are a “kid-sick” parent, please give us a call and we’ll connect you with a staff member who can assure you that your child is doing well. With the exception of emergencies, we do not permit camper phone calls. We don’t want to turn a “kid-sick” parent into a “homesick” camper. Thank you for understanding and your cooperation.

What Rules Do Campers Need to Follow?

Too much emphasis on “the rules” takes away from the fun atmosphere we strive to create at Camp. While our rules are few, they are necessary to keep your child safe and foster an environment of encouragement, self-discipline, creativity, and responsibility. Camp reserves the right to dismiss any camper who violates these guidelines.

When participating in camp activities and when on camp trips, campers must follow instructions and protocol as directed by staff.

Unsupervised swimming is not allowed.

Smoking, chewing tobacco, alcohol, swearing, and possession or use of weapons, or unprescribed drugs is not allowed.

After-hours socializing with or entering the cabins of members of the opposite sex is not allowed.

What if My Child Needs to Take Medications at Camp?

All medications, including vitamins and over-the-counter meds, must be turned in to the camp medical staff on Incoming Day and noted on your child’s Medical Form. All prescription medications must be in their original marked container, indicating the name of the drug and dosing instructions. Our medical staff is not permitted legally to dispense any medications that are not in an original, marked container.

Our local pediatrician has provided written orders, allowing us to dispense common, over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol, Sudafed, and Advil. You do not need to send these with your camper.

A special note about vitamins and herbal supplements: The states of New Hampshire and Maine do not permit our medical staff to dispense these without a doctor’s signature. If your child needs to take vitamins and herbal supplements, please have your physician indicate permission on the Medical Form or a note on their letterhead.

What Immunizations Does My Child Need?

All campers must be up-to-date on their immunizations, including Tetanus Toxoid (within the previous 10 years). All campers age 16 years or older (including all those enrolled in the Leadership Programs) must have a valid tetanus immunization (within 5 years) before participating in any of our extended tripping and wilderness programs. If your doctor deems otherwise, it must be noted on the Medical Form.

Is My Child’s Medical Information Confidential?

In keeping with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (or HIPPA), information regarding your child’s medical background, diagnosis, medications, and treatments will only be released to camp staff who have a need to be involved in providing health care to your child at camp. We also limit the release of information to organizations or individuals that are providing care (i.e., emergency room personnel) or paying for care (i.e., insurance companies).

When Is Tuition Due?

Camp tuition, including Leadership Development Programs and special programs, is due in full by April 15th, regardless of whether the other required forms have been submitted. If you would like to pay with your credit card you can use our online portal. We will send you a reminder statement by mail before April 15th. If you would like to set up a payment plan, please contact Debbie Strodel, Finance Director, to make arrangements.

I Live Outside the United States. How Do I Make Payments?

Thank you for entrusting your children to us, we know that it’s a lot of work to get them here. Because there are many fees associated with international transactions, we require one payment (tuition and any additional fees) to be wired directly to Camp’s bank. Please email Debbie Strodel for wiring information. An additional fee of $200 per family ($100 for Canada and Mexico) is required for families living outside the U.S. Any check or money order drawn from an account outside the United States, even if designated in U.S. Dollars, will be returned to you.

What Do I Need to Bring to Camp?

A complete packing list is available in the Camper Handbook. Please mark your camper’s name on all articles, including shoes, socks, hats, clothing athletic equipment, etc. Campers are encouraged to keep track of their belongings and are given the opportunity to claim lost items each week. Camp clothes experience a lot of wear and tear, please do not pack items that you wouldn’t want to be damaged or can’t be replaced.

What Kind of Footwear Should I Pack?

Many foot injuries at camp are the result of improper footwear. Camp is a tough environment for feet with an abundance of rocks, roots, sticks, along the paths and dirt roads. The BEST footwear you can provide your campers is closed-toed shoes that remain on their feet while running. Sneakers and closed-toe sport sandals work well. Campers may not be able to participate in an activity if they do not have on the appropriate footwear. Flip flops are permitted at the waterfront and on the path to the boys’ shower house.

Lost and Found

Camp will not accept responsibility for lost or stolen articles. Marked items left at Camp may be mailed home only when a parent calls or emails the office to identify the missing item. Please understand that hundreds of items, everything that you can possibly imagine, are left at Camp every summer. We can neither pay to mail everything nor hold the items indefinitely. We ask that you kindly reimburse Camp for the mailing expenses and larger items may need to be pre-paid. Unclaimed items will be donated to a charitable organization by mid-September.

What Should We Leave at Home?

In keeping with Camp’s philosophy, electronic equipment is not allowed, please keep these items at home. This includes radios, television, iPods, GameBoys, hand-held computer games, and cell phones. If your camper brings these items, they will be placed in the Camp office for the duration of their stay. Digital cameras are permitted if used appropriately.

What Does It Mean to Be Accredited?

Camp Brookwoods, Deer Run, and Moose River Outpost are accredited members of the American Camp Association (ACA), Christian Camp and Conference Association (CCCA) and Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA). We work hard to meet their requirements for membership and to earn the highest recognition with these organizations. The ACA accredits member camps every three years by qualified personnel and camp directors to determine their compliance with industry standards.

Are Brookwoods and Deer Run One Camp?

Brookwoods and Deer Run are separate camps, but they share the same property and facilities. Each camp has its own distinct traditions and programs (Brookwoods: crazy hats at Friday Breakfast Cookouts, Deer Run: Syncro Swimming). During the day, many activities are co-ed (riflery, bb’s, swimming, etc.) Evening programs are single-sex (when Deer Run has Cabin Night, Brookwoods has Unit Night). Typically once a session, there is an All-Camp program with both Deer Run and Brookwoods, like Krazy Karnival. Brookwoods cabins are on one side of the Main House and Deer Run cabins are on the other side of the Main House. They share some common facilities (Waterfront and Dining Hall) and support staff.

Will Siblings See Each Other?

The short answer is “Yes”. The number of time siblings, brothers and sisters, will see each other depends on their selection of activities. Each afternoon we have Beach Afternoon, (open waterfront) and that is generally the best time to hang out. Siblings can also see each other at Lazy Day breakfasts (twice a week) and Wednesday night cookouts on the front lawn.

How Is Camp Organized?

The maximum number of campers in the regular camp program is 118 at Brookwoods and 130 at Deer Run. (This does not include older campers in the Leadership Development Programs). Campers are then assigned to a cabin based on their age (as of June 1st). Each cabin has 12-13 campers and 2 counselors. Deer Run has 11 cabins and Brookwoods has 10. Campers are divided into two units based on age: the Junior Unit is typically 8-11-year-olds and the Senior Unit is typically 12-16-year-olds. Each unit is made up of 5-6 cabins (50-60 campers) and is under the guidance of a Unit Director. The respective “UD” organizes age-appropriate programs.

What Is the Camper to Staff Ratio?

There are approximately 300 campers and 110 staff members on campgrounds at any given time, approximately a 3:1 ratio.

How and When Do Campers Pick Activities?

Our goal is to give campers the chance to take activities they are interested in. Here are some details about the process, known as “Activity Sign-Ups”:

At the beginning of the week, campers sign-up for 3 activities for the upcoming week. We encourage campers to first sign-up for the activity they are most excited about taking.

Due to age restrictions limiting their choices, our youngest campers are given the chance to sign up for all 3 of their activities at the same time.

The remainder of Brookwoods and Deer Run then sign-up for 1 activity. Once both camps have signed up for one activity, they will choose their next 2 activities.

Before Activity Sign-Ups, campers are given a schedule of what activities are offered each period. Not all activities are offered every period. Counselors help campers to navigate the process and help them select activities.

Campers cannot sign up for a popular activity (example: waterskiing and archery) as a first choice, two weeks in a row. We encourage campers to try new things the second week!

Fourth Period is a supervised free period. Campers do not sign up for activities but are able to enjoy the Waterfront, Moose Hall (boys), or Deer Run Lodge (girls).

What Does an Average Day Look Like at Camp?

7:00 – Wake Up and Cabin Cleanup
7:30 – Devotions
8:00 – Breakfast & Singing
9:00 – Bible Study
10:00 – 1st Activity
11:15 – 2nd Activity
12:30 – Lunch
1:30 – Rest Hour
2:45 – 3rd Activity
4:00 – Open Waterfront
5:30 – Dinner
6:30 – Evening Program
9:00 – Return to Cabins/Devotions/Lights Out

Are There Activity Age Limitations?

To ensure the safety of all our campers, some activities have minimum ages for participation:

  • Archery: Brookwoods age 10, Deer Run age 11
  • Axe Throwing: age 13
  • Climbing Wall: age 11
  • Horseback Riding: 10 years of age
  • Mountain Biking & Boards: age 12
  • Riflery: age 12
  • SCUBA: age 12
  • Wakeboard: age 10
  • Woodworking: age 10

Please note that these limits are due to the size of equipment, the nature of the activity, American Camp Association guidelines, and NH state regulations. For consistency, we use the camper’s age as of June 1st. Camp reserves the right to make program changes as necessary and commits to providing activities that meet safety standards.

Who Gets to Play Paintball?

Paintball is not offered during an instruction activity period. Paintball is offered to different cabins in the Senior Unit (at least age 12) during 4th period free. Paintball is also scheduled by Unit Directors as a Cabin Night activity.

Will My Camper Participate in An Outdoor Adventure?

Every cabin will experience outdoor adventures during camp. This might include hiking, canoeing, whitewater rafting, or sleeping on Plum Island, or an overnight in the White Mountains. If your camper has any medical issues that might preclude their participation, we don’t want them to risk further injury. This should be noted by their physician on their Medical Form or a separate note. Otherwise, we will assume your child can fully participate in these camp activities.

What if My Child Becomes Ill or Injured?

If your child is ill or injured, Camp will comply with the American Camp Association’s regulations:

In the event of minor injury/illness such as headache, simple abrasion, or earache, the camp medical staff will provide appropriate treatment. A phone call home is not required.

In the event of major injury/illness such as broken bones, concussion, allergic reaction or any other event requiring a hospital visit, you will be contacted as soon as we have all the details. Please note, we will try to speak to you in person and will not leave a detailed message on your voicemail. In an emergency, Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run use Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro (7 miles away) .

Please be assured that we will act in the best interests of your child when determining medical care. When in doubt, we will always take your child for treatment.

If a non-hospital incident happens at night (not serious) we will call you the next morning.

If your child spends the night in the Loon (medical facility) for any reason, we will call you the following morning.

What if My Child Has Severe Allergic Reactions And/or Asthma?

The State of New Hampshire has legislation controlling the use and storage of inhalers and Epi-Pens at camp. The purpose of the law is to allow your child to keep his/her inhaler or Epi-pen on his/her person to be used if needed while at the same time providing a safe environment for other campers.

Currently Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run staff one to two medical staff at all times. Our staff are trained to use of inhalers and Epi-pens, are available 24 hours a day, and maintain a stocked emergency bag with Epi-pens and other emergency first aid supplies and equipment. In addition, all trips leaving camp include a first aid bag, including two Epi-pens.

If you or your health care provider feel that your child’s allergic reaction is severe or potentially life-threatening, an Epi-pen should be carried on his/her person at all times. The state law requires that two Epi-pens be provided to camp: one for the camper to carry and one to be stored in the Loon (medical facility). Each Epi-pen must be clearly marked with the camper’s name as well as that of the prescribing physician.

Regarding asthma, the law states that the child may carry his/her own inhaler. It must be clearly marked with the camper’s name and recorded by the medical staff on Incoming Day. We strongly recommend a second inhaler for any camper carrying his/her own inhaler to be stored in the Loon.

Camp requires campers needing inhalers and/or Epi-Pens on his/her person to carry them in a small “fanny pack” worn at all times, other than swimming and other water activities.

If your child must carry an inhaler or an Epi-pen, your licensed health care provider must complete the information on the form located in the Camper Handbook.

How Do I Contact Camp in An Emergency?

You can always reach the Brookwoods and Deer Run office by calling 603-875-3600 during the hours of 8:00am – 6:00pm. If you need to contact the Loon (medical facility), please call the main number (above) and we will transfer you.

For after-hours emergencies only: call 603-875-3602 (the home of our Executive Director and the message will get delivered).

Bed Wetting

Please note that if your child experiences occasional or frequent bed-wetting, you will need to make some special preparations. Sleeping bags should not be used for daily sleeping. Please bring sheets and a washable blanket for your child (sleeping bags can be used as a blanket and on their overnight). Please give us a call if you expect this to be an issue with your child. This information can also be noted on the “Camper Confidential” form.

Is There a Camp Dress Code?

Daily clothing should be modest and appropriate. Tops should have straps that are two fingers wide and long enough to completely cover their stomach. Shorts should be a minimum 3″ inseam, and not too tight. If girls wear leggings, they must wear a shirt that covers the bottom completely. Tops should be no lower than a bandwidth from their neckline. Only modest one-piece bathing suits are permitted. End-of-month banquet dresses and skirts should also be a modest length. Please do not plan to wear strapless, spaghetti strap, or backless dresses and tops. We reserve the right to ask your camper to change clothes, which can be awkward and uncomfortable for them. Thank you for helping them pack appropriate clothing.

On Sunday mornings, we require the following uniforms that are available online or at the Camp Store.

Deer Run: Green or khaki shorts and Deer Run Camp t-shirt

Brookwoods: Navy or khaki shorts and Brookwoods Camp t-shirt

How Can My Child Get to Camp?

The majority of campers drive to camp with their parents on Incoming Day, arriving between 1:00pm-5:00pm.

For those who choose to fly, we can pick up your camper at Logan Airport in Boston or Manchester Airport in New Hampshire between 11:00am-5:00pm. A staff member (wearing a Brookwoods or Deer Run staff shirt and holding a clipboard) will meet your child at the airline’s baggage claim and help them retrieve their luggage. Please note that transportation to Brookwoods and Deer Run is only available for those campers arriving or departing by airplane. Airport transportation can be either round-trip or one-way.

How Can I Contact My Child at Camp?

Campers love to receive mail, perhaps more than they like to answer it! We encourage you to write often and with a cheerful tone. Also, campers are encouraged to write home and we do provide free postcards in the Camp Store. If you are not hearing from your child and are concerned, please let us know and we will be happy to confirm that your child is doing well. You will also receive a letter from their counselor about cabin life and your camper’s time at Camp.

Our mailing address is:
Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run
34 Camp Brookwoods Road
Alton, New Hampshire 03809

You can denote their cabin on the bottom corner of the envelope. If you don’t know the cabin, we will look it up when it arrives.

As a convenience to parents, we offer BunkNotes, a one-way email service to campers. Different packages are available. On Incoming Day you will receive a code to sign up and the link will also be on our webpage. If you have any questions, please contact the Main Office at 603-875-3600.

While we encourage parents to write campers, we unfortunately cannot use our fax machine for this purpose. We need to reserve the fax for emergencies and business use only.

Can I Call My Child on The Phone?

With the exception of emergencies, we cannot permit camper phone calls, our phone is already ringing off the hook! If you are a “kid-sick” parent, please give us a call and we will have you talk to a staff member who can assure you that your child is well. We don’t want to turn a “kid-sick” parent into a “homesick” camper problem. Thank you for understanding.

Can I Send a Care Package?

Please do not send care packages. For a number of reasons, we updated our policy to no care packages. If your camper has forgotten something essential at home, please email our registrar Corey. For example, we consider a raincoat essential. A hammock is not essential. Packages that are not essential will be held until Outgoing Day and the camper can pick them up in the Main Office. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Do You Have Horseback Riding?

The horsemanship program is designed to introduce campers to riding and to develop skills, horsemanship, grooming, safety, and care of the horses. Our staff instructors are certified by the Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA). Campers must be 10 years of age or older by June 1st in order to register for riding. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis by mail only and is limited to 32 participants per two-week session. The cost is $120 for two weeks and $220 for four weeks.

Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run staff seek to provide quality instruction in a safe environment. The horsemanship program has been developed based on safety codes, regulations, and camp standards in mind. To reserve a place in the riding program, please complete the form in the back of the Camper Handbook.

Is Scuba Offered at Camp?

Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run offer the opportunity to become Certified SCUBA Divers to campers who are 12 years of age and over. The program lasts for 2 weeks and meets each afternoon for about 2 hours. As to which sessions this is available, varies based on instructors’ availability. The course includes:

  • An academic section (textbooks and videotapes are supplied);
  • A confined water section (where safety skills are learned); and
  • A series of dives to explore Lake Winnipesaukee.

Camp will supply all necessary gear. Taking this course does require a commitment from each camper to do their reading and attend training sessions. However, the reward is a SCUBA certification card good for a lifetime of fun and adventure in the water. We recommend that interested campers in SCUBA, take one of the “Introduction to SCUBA” classes offered during regular morning activity periods prior to the year they plan to take the Certification Program.

To indicate interest in the Certification Program, please complete the Medical Questionnaire and the Liability Waiver forms, which you can find online. Look under the “Forms” button. Or, call the office at 603-875-3600 and we will mail them to you.

Because this class requires a commitment and is limited to only 6 campers, interested campers will be notified once they arrive at Camp if they’ve been accepted into the class. Once accepted, you will be billed for payment. The fee for this course is $ 100.00. Should you or your physician have any medical questions, we can supply you with more information.

What Is the Basic Program?

The BASIC Program (Brothers and Sisters in Christ) is a four-week experience for 15 and 16-year boys and girls (Impala and Bear cabins, respectively). In addition to their regular camp activities, participants will spend three days on our low and high ropes course, guided by a trained facilitator. There are some BASIC adventures as well, the group will go on an overnight canoe trip and also spend three days hiking in the White Mountains. When we place campers in the Impala and Bear cabins, we give priority to those campers who are registered for four weeks, as the program incorporates a month-long program and is designed to emphasize relationship building. There is no extra cost or application for this program.

Can I Visit My Camper?

Unfortunately, due to COVID we are not allowing outside visitors on camp property this summer.

Below is our normal visiting information which we hope to resume sometime in the future.

Visiting times are available for month-long campers only. There are no visiting days for two-week campers.

The schedule is as follows:

  • Middle Sunday of the first-month session from 1:00pm-5:00pm
  • Middle Sunday of the second-month session from 1:00pm-5:00pm

On visiting days, you are warmly invited to our morning worship service held in our outdoor chapel at 10:30am. Campers are expected to attend morning worship and then are free to leave Camp with their parents for lunch—we are sorry we’re unable to provide meals for parents and visitors on these special days. All campers must have signed written permission on file, in the Camp office in order to leave property with someone other than their parents, PRIOR to the Visiting Day. A Permission Slip, available in the office or on the camp web site, may be completed and faxed back to camp, or the parent may e-mail our Executive Director, Bob Strodel at bob@christiancamps.net or his wife, Debbie, at debbie@christiancamps.net. As a matter of general rule, we will NOT allow last-minute phone calls home to make arrangements for visiting day.

While we welcome visiting adult alumni and prospective parents during the summer, please check in with the main office to meet the Director and obtain a visitor’s badge before touring the Campgrounds—we must follow this policy to preserve the safety and well-being of our campers and staff at all times. If you are visiting with children, or the siblings of a Camper, they must stay with their parents at all times.

International Campers

We recognize that our international Campers are at a disadvantage in terms of communicating with their families. We strive to provide top-notch service to families living outside the U.S. Here are some important things you need to know if you’re coming to Camp from abroad. . Therefore, international campers may:

Bring their handwritten letter to the Main Office and we will scan it and email it to the family.

Receive a reasonable number of letters by email from their families. Please type your camper’s name in the “subject” line and send the email to corey@christiancamps.net.

Campers may make a brief call to their parents upon their arrival at camp.

When your child arrives at Camp, they will need to turn in their passport, return plane ticket, and any extra discretionary money, cell phones and other valuables for safekeeping in the Camp office.

Where Can I Stay in The Area?

If you are planning on staying in the Lakes Region, it’s important that you make advance reservations early and directly with motels or resorts. Many of the small motels and lodges only accept reservations via phone or email. Also, many will require a minimum stay. There are several local Bed & Breakfasts that you can find on the web.

  • Holiday Inn Express, Rochester, NH 603-994-1175
  • Wolfeboro Inn, 44 N. Main St., Wolfeboro 603-569-3016
  • The Inn on Main, 200 N. Main St., Wolfeboro 603-569-1335
  • Crescent Lake Inn & Suites, 280 S. Main St., Wolfeboro 603-569-1100
  • Pickering House Inn, 116 S. Main St., Wolfeboro, 603-569-6948
  • Lake Wentworth Inn, 427 Center St., Wolfeboro, 603-569-1700
  • Greystone Inn, 132 Scenic Dr., Gilford 603-293-7377
  • Marriott—TownePlace Suites, 14 Sawmill Rd., Gilford, 603-524-5533

Where Do the Locals Eat?

Here’s a few of our staff favorites. You’ll find more on Yelp.


  • Grill 110, 136 Marketplace Blvd, 603-948-1270
  • Eastern Paradise, 150 Marketplace Blvd #13, 603-948-1253
  • La Carona, 83 Farmington Rd, 603-948-1050

New Durham

  • Johnson’s Seafood and Steak, 69 Route 11, 603-859-7500

Alton & Alton Bay

  • Ackerly’s Grill & Galley, 83 Main St, 603-875-3383
  • Pop’s Clam Shell, 55 Mt. Major Hwy, 603-875-6363
  • River Run Deli, 32 Suncook Valley Rd, 603-875-1000
  • Shibley’s at the Pier, Rt. 11, 603-875-3636
  • Sandy Point Resort, Rt. 11, 603-875-6001
  • Dunkin’, Alton Circle
  • MacDonald’s, Alton Circle
  • Hannaford’s, Alton Circle


  • Bayside Grill & Tavern, 51 Mill St, 603-515-1002
  • Bayberry Juice Bar, 19 Main St, 603-569-9956 (camp parents!)
  • Downtown Grille Cafe, 33 S. Main St, 603-569-4504
  • El Centenario, 14 Union St, 603-569-3445
  • From Scratch Bakery, 36 Center St, 603-515-1049 (Deer Run alumna!)
  • Garwoods, 6 N Main St, 603-569-7788
  • Huck’s Hoagies 104 Lehner St, 603-569-6122
  • Jo Green’s, 33 Dockside St, 603-569-8668
  • Lydia’s Cafe, 33 N Main St, 603-569-3991
  • Morrisey’s Front Porch, 285 S Main St, 603-569-3662
  • Nolans Brick Oven Bistro, 39 N Main St, 603-515-1028
  • O Bistro (The Inn on Main), 200 N. Main, 603-569-3016
  • Seven Suns, 61 Railroad Ave, 603-515-1010
  • The Farmers Kitchen, 5 N Main St, 603-515-1006
  • West Lake Asian, 495 Center St, 603-569-6700
  • Wolfe’s Tavern (Wolfeboro Inn), 44 N Main, 603-569-3016
  • Wolfetrap Grill & Rawbar, 19 Bay St, 603-569-1047
  • Wolfeboro Dockside Grille & Dairy Bar, 11 Dockside St, 603-515-1053

Is My Son or Daughter Safe Way Up There in The Woods?

The answer is, emphatically, YES. Safety is our first priority in everything we do. We hire qualified staff, put them through rigorous training, including multiple safety certifications and emergency scenarios. We’ll admit that kayaking, rock climbing, and paintball aren’t as risk-free as reading a book, but activities at MRO compare favorably with the risk taken when they play soccer, tennis, or other common sports. The best way to understand whether or not camp will be safe for your child is to call us and ask. Call 603-875-3600 and ask for Seth, he’d love to answer your questions.

How Much Is Christianity Involved in Camp?

We’re a Christian camp, so it’s right at the center of our identity. Our counselors are Christians and we encourage campers to develop Christian values and disciplines. That said, you should not expect any kind of “big tent revival.” MRO is about mentoring, not preaching or meetings. Anytime we talk about faith, it’s in a low-pressure setting.

If My Child Isn’t an Athlete, Can He Still Enjoy Camp?

Absolutely. You don’t need to be an all-star to enjoy Moose River Outpost. With our wide variety of activities, our counselors take it as their responsibility to help your son or daughter find something they’re good at. Not everyone is a climber or a mountain biker. Some excel at archery, some at crafts, and yes… a few of our campers can run a 6-minute mile. But that’s what makes camp great. Whatever their gifts, your child will come home proud of something they accomplished at camp.

Are There Bathrooms in The Cabins?

Yes….and showers. Each cabin has private bathroom (2 sinks, 2 toilets, 2 showers). Each shower has its own individual space with a changing area.

How Far Is MRO from Medical Attention?

There is always an RN on property. If necessary, there is an ambulance crew in Jackman and they typically transport to Skowhegan. For more severe medical incidents, patients will be transported to Waterville, Greenville, or Bangor.

Is It Alright if I Tell My Son or Daughter that I’ll Visit Them Regularly?

If your camper is a two-weeker, please do not plan on visiting during at camp. Part of the camp experience is for campers to be independent and to have an experience that is truly their own. Visits from parents can disrupt this experience. For campers staying for 4 weeks, parents are allowed to visit on the middle Sunday of their session. See camper handbook for details.

What Is the Camper-To-Staff Ratio?

The 96 campers on Base Camp are served by 45 staff, for a ratio of better than 3:1. In cabins we have up to 12 campers and always have 2 counselors, so never less that 6:1 in the cabin.

When Do Campers Pick Activities?

At MRO, campers pick activities every morning! If Archery and Kayaking, weren’t their favorite on Monday, Tuesday brings a clean slate and a chance to try out three different activities, maybe Stand-up Paddleboarding, Skeet Shooting, or Fishing.

What Does an Average Day Look Like at Camp?

7:00 – Wake Up and Cabin Cleanup
7:30 – Quiet Time
8:00 – Breakfast
8:45 – Worship and Cabin Devotions
10:00 – Activity Period 1
11:15 – Activity Period 2
12:45 – Lunch
1:30 – Rest Hour
2:30 – Activity Period 3
4:00 – Free Time/Open waterfront
1:30 – Rest Hour
5:45 – Dinner
6:30 – Evening Game
9:00 – Cabin Debrief and Bed

Are There Activity Age Limitations?

No. Every activity at Moose River Outpost is available to every camper. Any restriction would be based on ability. For example, a camper must pass a swim test before being allowed to go out in a boat. Likewise, campers must show and develop certain skills before being able to go on advanced level trips in activities like whitewater kayaking and rock climbing.

If My Son or Daughter Has a Driver’s License, May They Drive Their Own Car to Camp?

Because of safety and parking limitations, we ask that student drivers do not bring a vehicle to camp.

Does Moose River Outpost Have Any Policies Regarding Animals and Pets?

Pets are not allowed to come to camp with their owners. We do allow service animals on property during Incoming and Outgoing days. Otherwise, we ask that you please keep your pets at home.

Summer of 2021

We anticipate that you have many questions about how camp will operate safely during the summer of 2021. We will be utilizing the State of New Hampshire and Maine guidelines for residential camps and the American Camp Association’s Field Guide for Camps on Implementation of CDC Guidance. These documents will help us develop safe and healthy programs as well as best practices for cleaning and sanitizing camp. It is important to note that both of these documents are changing often. We hope that these guidelines will be relaxed and that some guidelines will become unnecessary by June. For now, we are making plans based on the current guidelines knowing that camp with a few restrictions is much better that no camp!

Are you accepting the same number of campers as usual or are there limited spaces this summer?

We are hopeful that we will be able to open at our normal capacity.

Do camper who were enrolled for the summer of 2020 get first choice for 2021 spaces?

Camp families who rolled their payment over from the summer of 2020 have first priority.  Enrollment is now open and WAITING LISTS have started for several sessions!  Check HERE for availability.  

Will there be any changes to the session lengths?

No. We do not believe we will need to make any changes to session lengths.  Moose River Outpost will be operating for 6 weeks in 2021.

What will campers and staff need to do before they arrive at camp?

Currently, the state’s COVID-19 guidelines for overnight camps require a pre-arrival quarantine of 10 days and a negative COVID-19 test taken within 7 days prior to arrival.

Will campers and staff have a Covid-19 test while at camp?

At this time all New Hampshire campers and staff will be required to have a Covid-19 test on the day that they arrive at camp. A second Covid-19 test is required, on day 5,  for all of our staff and any camper staying at camp longer than two weeks,and an additional test will be given to 4 week campers at the end of their third week of camp. At this time, New Hampshire calls for a mid-turbinate swabs test for the first test and also allows for mid-turbinate swabs for subsequent surveillance tests. We hope that by summer 2021, even less invasive tests will be approved for use, and perhaps a different test schedule.   In Maine, no tests are currently required at incoming, but we are planning on a mid-turbinate swab Covid-19 test 5 days into the program to make sure our “bubble” is intact.

Who is paying for any COVID testing?

If testing is necessary, we will be requesting families cover the cost of testing and facility sanitation through a $295 one-time COVID Impact Fee.  Our Board of Directors thought this approach was much better than to just raise the cost of tuition for what we hope is a one-year situation.  For those families where the additional testing costs makes camp prohibitive, we will be able to provide some additional assistance through the generosity of our alumni and current camp donors.  We are continuing to investigate testing options which will lower the cost of the process.  

Will camp be conducting daily health screenings of staff and campers?

Camp will conduct daily screenings of all staff and campers. This screening will include temperature checks and questions concerning the individual’s health to determine the absence of Covid-19 symptoms.

How are you reducing the possible introduction of Covid-19 to camp?

Our camps will endeavor to create a Covid-19-free bubble. This will be achieved by testing and isolating from everyone who is outside of our bubble. We will not be allowing visitors on the camp property. Anyone entering camp from outside of our bubble must follow strict safety guidelines.

Will my child be allowed to fly to camp and be picked up by camp staff for transport to camp?

Camp will accept Domestic or International campers flying to camp provided the families can demonstrate the ability to pick up their child within 24 hours if needed. If a child tests positive for COVID, parents will need to pick up, or arrange to have a designated person pick up their child at camp; camp will not deliver a sick camper to the airport.

Will campers and staff from other countries be able to come to camp this summer?

The camp has set May 20th as a date when we will determine if International campers will be realistically able to attend camp. If on that date other countries are not open, we will return any deposits to registered International families, and cancellations the reservations.   If the countries do open up between May 1st and the start of camp, we will gladly accept re-registrations from International campers on a space available basis.  We think this process will assist International families to make decisions about the summer and avoid last minute adjustments.   Campers and staff coming from outside the country will be subject to the same measures as campers and staff who come from any significant distance, which includes testing after they arrive in the country but prior to arrival at camp. Camp will accept Domestic or International campers flying to camp provided the families can demonstrate the ability to pick up their child within 24 hours if needed. Parents will need to pick up, or arrange to have a designated person pick up their child at camp; camp will not deliver a sick camper to the airport.  

Will there be any limitations on camp activities?

We are confident that we can operate the majority of our camp activities safely by following the American Camp Association’s Field Guide for Camps on Implementation of CDC Guidance.  

Will my child still be able to pick activities?

YES…no change to selection of program activities is anticipated.    As in previous summers, The Explorer Club’s activities, at Brookwoods and Deer Run, are pre-scheduled prior to camp to introduce those campers to the total breadth of camp activities in one week.

How will Covid-19 impact the daily schedule?

We anticipate we will be required to have two independent schedules running daily at camp. In New Hampshire, for example, the Junior Unit and the Senior Unit will eat separately, participate in activities at different times, and conduct different evening activities. This scheduling will allow for cabins to be distanced safely in the Dining Hall, as well as activity instruction to take place on an age-appropriate level. Another positive aspect of this style of programming is that popular camp activities will be more accessible to campers.

Will Brookwoods and Deer Run be offering out-of-camp trips this summer?

We do not plan to offer trips that allow for interaction with the general public (baseball games, Whale’s Tail, beach trips) as they could introduce the Covid-19 virus into our “bubble”.  We do think we can operate some wilderness trips and continue to work out these details between now and the start of camp.

Will there be extra medical staff this year?

Camp typically is well equipped each session with medical staff. We are confident that our team will be equipped to handle the daily screening needs of campers and staff.

Will camp be hiring any extra staff this year?

We anticipate that we might employ additional facility staff to assist with the additional sanitizing needs of camp. We may also be increasing our activity staff to provide plenty of trained staff to teach activities daily.

Will campers be able to freely interact with everyone at camp?

The Junior Unit and the Senior Unit will not interact regularly. Our goal is to create smaller cohorts within the camp bubble to reduce the possibility of exposure. If you have children attending who are in different units we understand that they may need some interaction during the camp session. This can be accommodated safely with the use of masks or socially distant conversations.

How do you plan on doing singing and worship?

Outside, masked, and socially distanced by cabins.

What will mealtime look like?

We will be running two settings of each meal. The Junior Unit will eat separately from the Senior Unit. Cabin groups will have two assigned tables. They will be the only people who will sit at that table each session. Campers will be encouraged to sit in the same seats throughout their time at camp. Camper and staff will wash their hands before entering the Dining Hall and wear masks whenever they are moving about. Once at their table, they may take off their mask. Meals will be served family style or cafeteria style. Many meals may also be served outside to allow for greater social distancing. The quality of camp meals will not be negatively impacted by these changes and campers who have dietary restrictions will still be cared for appropriately.  Self-Service style meals are no longer allowed.

When will my kids have to wear masks? With who? When? When can they take them off?

 Campers and Staff will be required to wear masks when they are with others who are not in their Cabin group and cannot maintain social distance while inside, or when near someone not in their cohort outside in close proximity for more than a few minutes.

Will camp provide masks?

Campers will be expected to have their own masks for the duration of the camp program.  Parents should consider sending multiple masks to maintain some level of cleanliness over the duration of the camp experience.

What is the minimum standards for a mask at camp?

Masks selection shall follow CDC guidance:  should have two or more layers of washable, breathable fabric.  They should completely cover the nose and mouth and fit snugly against the sides of the face without gaps.  Don’t send masks that have vents, N95 masks that are intended for healthcare workers, “gaiters” or face shields.  Disposable masks that meet these standards shall also be permitted.

Will there be extra cleaning?

Yes….we have developed a sound system to provide for additional cleaning in cabins and at activity areas.

Will camp charge any extra fees due to Covid-19?

Yes. If testing is necessary, we will be requesting families cover the cost of testing and facility sanitation through a $295 one-time COVID Impact Fee. For those families where the additional testing costs makes camp prohibitive, we will be able to provide some additional assistance through the generosity of our alumni and current camp donors.

My child is staying longer than two weeks. Will I be able to visit during the summer?

No. In order to maintain our Covid 19-free bubble, we are unable to accept visitors once camp has started. We have discussed offering a Zoom Call opportunity for month long campers and their families, but still trying to figure out how to safely accomplish that effort.

My child is an LDP and is staying for 8 weeks. Will I be able to take him/her home during the changeover weekend?

No. In order to maintain our Covid 19-free bubble, we are unable to accept visitors once camp has started.

What will happen if a camper or staff member tests positive for Covid-19 while at camp?

We are developing our protocols to prevent COVID-19 exposure at camp this summer. However, if a camper or staff member is diagnosed with COVID-19 during their time at camp, they will immediately be isolated and, per state guidelines, have to go home. This is challenging for campers [or staff] coming from considerable distance. All camps have designated space in camp for quarantine of campers and staff if needed.

What happens to others in the cabin if someone gets COVID?

If a camper or staff member tests positive for Covid-19, their cabin group (including their Counselors) will be quarantined from the camp population as they undergo a Covid-19 test and await results. The cabin group will still be able to be engaged in camp activities, but they will need to be isolated from the rest of the camp population. Once they receive a negative Covid-19 test result, the cabin group may return to normal camp activities with their Unit.

Will parents be informed if someone gets Covid-19 while at camp?

We will inform parents immediately if someone is diagnosed with Covid-19 at camp by sending an email to the email address we have on your camper’s registration record.

Will camp have access to medical services for non-Covid-19 related illnesses?

Camp will continue to have access to medical services outside of camp.

If I register, but camp is not allowed to open, what happens to my deposit or my payment in full?

If camp is unable to open, there are three choices for your deposit or your camp payment: 1) Roll it over to the summer of 2022, 2) Give it to camp as a donation, or, 3) Request a refund.

If camp has to close due to Covid-19 once the session starts, will I get my money back?

Yes, we will provide a prorated refund based on the number of days your child has been at camp.

How will Covid-19 impact the SALT program?

The SALT program includes a great deal of travel. Travel restrictions may make it impossible or unwise for us to travel out of New Hampshire. Therefore we have been forced to “pause” the SALT program for 2021.

How will Covid-19 impact the LDP program?

Travel restrictions may make it impossible or unwise for us to travel out of New Hampshire. This will impact our participation in the out-of-camp trips that are a part of the LDP1 and LDP2 program. Alternate programming will be developed to provide impact for the participants.

Will camp staff be required to have the vaccine?

We don’t anticipate a situation where camp staff will be required to get the COVID vaccine.

Will parents be allowed to call their kids at camp? It has been a long year!

We do not have the capability to make those connections due to the camp program, and number of people involved.  We will post occasional pictures on our social media so you can get some sense of what is happening at camp, but we cannot guarantee a picture of your camper.  This represents no change from previous summers.

Will Staff be staying on property all the time? How are we limiting their exposure?

It is recognized that some staff roles will require people to leave the property; for example, grocery shopping, mail pickup, laundry.  Our goal is to limit exposure through mask wearing, hand washing, maintaining social distancing and reducing the number of times outside of camp.  On Staff Days-Off, each will be restricted to non-public activities within their cohort, or utilization of social distancing and mask usage on non-cohort outdoor situations.  Eating inside public restaurants, attending Red Sox games, and inside activities such as movie theaters will be prohibited.  Outside activities such as hikes, beaches, and take-out food are encouraged.  Camp will maintain a list of on-site activities and areas staff can utilize on-property during time off.